Biyernes, Setyembre 20, 2013

Pan de San Nicolas, Filipino Heritage Cookie that Heals


When were in Pampanga we have visited a local culinary expert and she is atching Lillian Boromeo she have showed us how to cooked this homemade cookies in its traditional ways.The intricate design of the antique cookie molds drew me to images of a generation when days were less rushed, less busy. Of an era when handmade and made from scratch were the norm. When there were no technical gadgets nor social media whirling around to record or transmit anything. There was nothing instantaneous about this Pan de San Nicolas cookie. That is why the Pan de San Nicolas is a beautiful cookie. Even better, old stories say this is a cookie that heals.
This type of cookie was meant to show what was important in life. The effort and the love that went into the making of this recipe, the hand carving of these molds, they were all meant to illustrate what mattered most.
This cookie recipe spoke for itself. It had a few ingredients. It was uncomplicated, nondescript. I mixed it by hand. I shaped the dough with my nimble fingers. I patted it all down on the wooden block of a cookie mold.
The results were an amazingly pretty cookie, that looked like it was hand embroidered. The flavors were exquisite. There was sweetness from the coconut cream, but it was not overbearing. There was a buttery aroma, but it was understated. There was a quiet, breathtaking beauty in the cookie as I held it in the palm of my hand. It had taken a while to mold and bake, so it was taking me a while to eat it right away. I had to sit still and appreciate every vine, every curve, every little detail on its picture perfect prettiness. I wanted to try baking one of this cookies someday .

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento